Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing 12. Do You Digg?

There is a world of news out there. I enjoyed learning about all four sites. I also looked into StumbleUpon. I can see the value for a library to keep current the latest news on popular subjects. Again, to read all the stories on the web and mainstream media would take forever so I can see that it would be beneficial to be able to sort and collect pertinent news. I could see an individual using one of these sites to keep current on quickly changing news i.e. technology. I set up a homepage for myself on Mixx for just that reason. I am hoping I can cut out some of the many technology periodicals I read. One drawback for me was that I started reading a news story that normally I would not find in my newspaper. In fact, I read quite a bit of interesting but definitely not important news.

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

My sense is that anyone who works a reference desk appreciates these types of tools. They feel a bit more prepared for the kinds of questions they may be asked about current events or things in the news. Seems some of the odd stuff could make you a bit of a "Cliff Claven" though.....:-)

Patricia -
CMLE